Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Leo's Letter: Still Struggling Without Services? - The Arc of Massachusetts Skip to main content

We have some good news for the coming year’s budget, but meanwhile, many are waiting for day or employment services.

The Department of Developmental Services (DDS) wants to be supportive of those waiting for services. In my February 18 video message, we shared the steps to take for additional assistance beginning at a minute and a half into the video (you’re welcome to listen to the whole piece!).

Assistance may come in the form of support funds to hire staff during some of the days. This can help offset isolation. Some of you may also need assistance from a service coordinator or family support staff in your area.  So when you ask for help, be specific.

Here are some tips for contacting your DDS Area Office.

  1. If you have had prior success with staff at your DDS Area Office, go back to those staff first, and seek additional help.
  2. Be specific about the help you need: ask them to help you problem solve the situation -see #5 below.
  3. If the situation continues, ask them for your Area Director and they should be able to give you the contact information.
  4. If you haven’t worked with someone successfully at your area office, find your Area Director by going to this site and place your city or town in the search box. The Area Director email and phone are listed.
  5. Be specific about what you need from your Area Director.
    1. Examples: I need 20 hours each week of daily support; I need to find a speech therapist or behavior therapist, etc.
    2. If you’re new to obtaining such funds to pay staff directly, you’ll have to set up through an agency with which DDS area can assist you.
    3. You will need to recruit staff for those hours, ask for orientation or training – or perhaps you have family or extended family who can play that role.
  6. If you are having a hard time connecting, let us know by writing to We will reach out and connect an Area Office or Family Support Center with you.

Leave a Reply