Please take a minute to send this action alert to your Representative. As you know, the end of the informal session is almost upon us. We are grateful for all the constituents who have contacted their legislators to pass Supported Decision-Making (S.3132/H.4725).
The Senate passed Supported Decision-Making earlier in the session: we must ask the House to do the same!
Supported Decision-Making (SDM) is an alternative to guardianship for some adults with disabilities or elders. It allows an individual to choose one or more trusted supporters to provide assistance in making decisions about their lives, while maintaining independence and dignity. This bill would establish the legal framework for SDM in MA as described below:
- define SDM and establish roles for those involved
- allow people with disabilities and elders to enter into an SDM agreement with people they trust, or “supporters”
- establish required elements of an SDM agreement form
- create protections against abuse of the model
- require that courts first consider SDM before establishing a guardianship
- establish training for people using the model (supporters and decision-makers)
- ensure all youth turning 18 are made aware of the SDM option at Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) meetings
Please use this form letter to write to your Representative and ask them to reach out to the Chair of House Ways and Means and the Speaker. If you would like to learn more about this bill, please contact Maura Sullivan at Sullivan@arcmass.org.
Thank you for your advocacy at this important time!